Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What Do You Say When....

What do you say to someone who is facing a tragedy.

What do you say to someone who's prayers go unanswered?

I start my work day (from home) today with word of a friend whose 20 something year old son died in a motorcycle accident.

Right after that call, another one from a friend facing another month, another year with no answer to her prayer to have a baby.

What do you do? Rather, what do you say?

I know there is only so much you can say without sounding trite or abrasive. My brain wants to pummel them with verses from the Word. My heart wants to reach out and just comfort them.

I believe a combination of both, minus the pummeling, can help. God's Word does not return void.

So to the friend who lost his son, I ask him if I could pray for him right at that moment as I talked on the phone. I said a quick prayer with the verse "The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34). He sobbed and said "thank you."

I can only trust God that was enough.

For the friend who was longing for a child, listening was the best course of action. And then a gentle word simply re-assuring her that God does know the desires of her heart. She said she could relate to Abraham and Sarah in the Bible. That brought an opening to share Romans 4...specifically encouraging her to be like Abraham..."Who did not waver at the promises of God through unbelief, but was strengthened by faith knowing that He who promised was able to accomplish what HE had promised...."

In times like these, I am so thankful for the Word of God and the Holy Spirit.

For with His Word and His Spirit, we can be broken bread and poured out wine. We can weep with those who weep. We can be "Jesus with skin on" to a lost and hurting world, or simply to those around us.

My encouragement to you?

As you face the punches of life, and the unfair curve balls that hit your gut, learn to allow the "God of all comfort" be your source of hope and solace amidst your pain.

I know "soaking in His Word" during those terribly painful times have been my only hope. The Word can be like the "Balm of Giliad", which not only takes the sting away but also makes the wound whole again.

So as you allow God to comfort you, you in turn are able to comfort others.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ." (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

Be Jesus with skin on to someone today.

No comments: