Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia...At Our House!

We came home from Louisiana last night to a terrible reality.

Our house had been vandalized and someone started a fire to cover the evil deed in our basement.

The only reason our house is still standing is because it is so well built (by my husband dave), and insulated.

The fire was started underneath the stairs downstairs. I don't know a lot of details because it is under major investigation but I can say it's terrible inside. Everything downstairs is black, melted down to nothing, or burned away.

I was the first one in the house when we came home. I thought the house smelled musty as I turned the alarm off. When my daughter saw the black coach she let out a shriek and yelled mom, the house has been on fire.

About that time I was making my way down the hall and around a corner when I saw the terrible black marks on my hardwood up from the downstairs. It felt warm and I was not sure if the fire was smouldering or going on still downstairs. So I yelled get out as we ran up the drive way and I called 911.

Basically, it's a terrible feeling. It's bad enough your house is full of soot and your basement demolished by the fire but to add insult to the pain, we got questioned one by one by detectives afterward it was deemed an obvious arson. Even my kids got questioned.

Later we went in with the investigators and realized some valuables were stolen from the master bedroom.

So, here we are in a motel...for a week....or how ever long it will take to survey the damage, discover the source of the arson, and deal with the insurance company on the damage.

The fire may have been downstairs but the aftereffects are all over my house. Soot, smoke, grime..UGLY.

So please pray. My kids are resilient but this was a tough one.

I believe God's grace will cover their tender minds.

I am praying for favor with the insurance company....

We have to deal now with the reality of someone stealing from us and trying to cover it up with a fire.

So, thank you for any prayers or advice,

No comments: