Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Passing of a Friend

It has been over a month since the passing of Hugh Jarrett.

Hugh "Baby" was a legend in his time, singing with the Jordanaires Quartet and backing the KING of rock and roll, Elvis Presley. The Jordanaires and Elvis recorded 50 albums together, and they traveled with him during the 1950's. Hugh and the Quartet, sang backup for Presley on "Hound Dog," "Don't Be Cruel," "Love Me Tender," "All Shook Up," "Jailhouse Rock" and "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You."

Hugh could tell you some stories that's for sure. He was the "voice" who would say the now famous saying, "Elvis has left the building." I loved when he'd share stories about how crazy those times were.



Hugh is in the picture on the right here...He's the tall gentleman pictured on the right.

I could write on an on about the famed Hugh Jarrett of old. As a former radio dj myself, I can appreciate his incredible career as a disc jockey, in addition to singing. He was THE most famous radio personality from his days on the radio in Nashville, Tennessee.

Hugh worked for the same radio station as I did just outside of Atlanta, Georgia in the latter part of his life. He'd come into the station with his big smile and warm words. Hugh always had something kind or positive to say.

I can't tell you how many times this man would come into the station and tell me how good I sounded on the radio. He just had this bubbly enthusiasm and appreciation for people. He was amazing in his kind spirit.

To get a compliment from Hugh Baby was rather awkward for me at first. I mean here's a legend in his own time taking time to say something encouraging to me about being on air.

But that was Hugh. He lit up our station every time he came to do his Sunday morning shift (recorded).

My daughter, who is 10, was so sad to hear of Hugh's death. Even though he could never remember her name, he always had something nice to say to her. She was kicking herself for not getting his autograph. When she discovered who "Elvis" was a few years ago and that Hugh sang with the King, she became quite impressed. The Miley Cyrus fan loves to meet singers and anyone who is famous.

It was fun seeing Hugh's face light up when Anna first wanted to meet him. When someone remembered his past, you could tell he appreciated it. We'd have people come in quite often to the radio station when they'd realize Hugh was there. They'd come with their Elvis pictures or the Jordaniares. He'd sign them and share a story or two. (He was part of Presley's famous waist-up appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in 1956. A skinny, beaming Mr. Jarrett wearing a plaid sport coat can be seen just over and behind Mr. Presley's left shoulder, hand-clapping, finger-snapping and swaying to the music.)

I have been out of radio for a few years now. I miss seeing Hugh. I can't help but sigh when thinking how sad it is that he is not around anymore.

In my mind today, I thought of him and got a vision of him in heaven. He had that smile and was 'be-bopping', in no pain, with the chorus in the heavenly realms singing praises to the REAL KING, Jesus.

And, he was announcing that Jesus WAS IN the building!

No comments: