Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What Are You Sowing?

I came across a rather somber verse in an even more somber book in the Bible in Amos 8:7:

"They sow in the wind, and reap the whirlwind...

The verse made me evaluate quickly my actions of sowing and reaping, especially in light of goals to be a godly wife and mother, to get out of debt, be a successful coach in ministry marketing and to help others to find the freedom they need in Christ.

What is sowing in the wind?

These things came to mind:

Planting on shallow, rocky ground.

That can be as simple as tithing to a ministry that is bearing no fruit! God trusts us with the discernment to sow our tithes and offerings into ministries that are impacting the world for HIS glory...and not just the glory of a preacher or ministry.

Sowing to our flesh

Not much more needs to be said here. When we let our flesh, worldly desires, the "I want it and I want it now" mentality rule, we quickly can find ourselves captive to debt, sorrow, and emptiness.

Sowing to a fantasy

Lots of temptations assault us everyday with this one. From lottery tickets to get rich quick scams, the carrot of riches dangles in front of us in many forms.

I think of this verse in Proverbs on this issue: "He who tills his land (tends to his business, works in proven methods of attaining wealth)
will have plenty of bread. but he who follows frivolity will have poverty enough."


So this made me ask myself the question: "What are you sowing?"

I prayed and asked God to help me with this listI

I need to sow:

*Time in the Word, prayer in my intimate relationship with God

*Time with my husband serving him and his needs.

*Sowing mercy and love in all my relationships, especially as I groom my two children into vessels of honor for God.

*Finances to ministries that are producing a good crop of people finding Jesus, being discipled, feeding the hungry, providing for widows, and serving faithfully God's Kingdom.

*Sowing in the spiritual realm through fasting and praying for others.

*Time spend studying and developing personal development, maybe even a new skill, that is needed as part of God's destiny for my life. It might mean reading a book instead of watching television. Spending money to go to a Dani Johnson seminar, instead of season tickets to see a favorite sports team.

This little verse definitely made me think long and hard this morning.

I desire to continue on a path I believe God has made even more clear in the past year.

I pray what I sow remains and is not just dust in the wind.

No comments: